Castleton Corners (or Four Corners) is an upscale neighborhood of Staten Island, one of the five boroughs of New York City. It is in a region of the island often referred to as the North Shore, Staten Island.
The word “corners” in the neighborhood’s name refers to the intersection of Victory Boulevard and Manor Road, which forms its core. This part of Castleton, Staten Island was once called Centerville, but became more popularly known as Castleton Corners when a post office by that name was opened there in 1872. The post office later closed, but reopened in 1949, and today it is the general, or main, post office for Staten Island as a whole, its ZIP Code being 10314.
The corner of Victory Boulevard and Manor Road has long been the center of an important commercial district, although its prominence has declined somewhat in recent decades due to the opening of the Staten Island Mall in 1973. The area had largely been built up by the time the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge opened in 1964. Castleton Corners was relatively unaffected by the dramatic upsurge in population after the bridge’s opening, compared with most other neighborhoods on the island.
Castleton Corners is separated from its eastern neighbor Sunnyside by Castleton Hill, noted for the two churches that stand across from one another on its western ridge—a Moravian church (Castleton Hill Moravian Church) on one side of Victory Boulevard and a Roman Catholic church (St. Teresa’s) on the other.
Castleton Corners is served by the S54, S61, S62, S66, S91, S92 and S93 local bus routes, and the SIM3, SIM31, SIM32, SIM33 and SIM34 express bus routes.